We started with a complimentary appetizer trio, nearly everything was served as a trio! (My apologies for the photo quality. I just used my iPhone... Didn't want to be a complete dorkus-malorkus and disturb the others enjoying their dinner!)
• Poached Claws, Endive, Aïoli
• Roasted Whole Leg, Beurre Blanc, Espelette
• Cioppino, Backfin Meat, Roasted Peppers
I was pretty much full at this point and we were barely even into the meal! The crab was so heavenly. There were three poached claws, each topped with a different aioli. A trio in a trio!
Pasta ~ Braise and Confit
• Fettuccini, Rabbit, English Peas
• Ravioli, Duck Leg, Radicchio
• Orecchiette, Pork Short Rib, Fava Beans
The pork short rib was melt in your mouth good.
Brandt Farm Beef ~ Spring Vegetables
• Filet Mignon, Sacramento Delta Green Asparagus, Sauce
• Dry Aged Rib Eye, Wilted Spinach, Morel Jus
• Braised Trio, Young Leeks, Horseradish Vinaigrette
The Béarnaise sauce was dreamy. And the rib eye? Fuhgettaboutit. I heart morels! And what's this? Another trio? Count me in. This time it was tongue, cheek and... something else delicious. I can't remember!
Maine Lobster Pot Pie
• Brandied Lobster Cream, Seasonal Vegetables
Ah-mazing. Whole lobster with the creamiest, silkiest sauce. I could've bathed in it. Seriously. I want to. Getting naked now.
California Squab ~ “Peking” and Citrus
• Smoked Breast, Pixie Tangerine, Pea Leaves
• Consommé, Poached Breast, Shiitake Dumpling
• Foie Gras, Steamed Buns, Pickled Tokyo Turnips
Mmm... What's not to love about little birds? I could've eaten that foie gras all night, while sitting in a tub of lobster sauce.
Cheeses ~ Goat, Sheep, Cow
• Minuet, Pear Purée, Hazelnuts
• Pecorino Ginepro, Port Cherries, Juniper Balsamic Vinegar
• Pianoforte, Porcini Syrup, Puffed Wild Rice
I was soooo stuffed by this point, I could barely eat the cheese. The waitress mentioned that they were all local cheese made by an artisan near Napa. And then something about them being named after musical terms and being available at some rainbow grocer's.
Citrus ~ Herbs
• Meyer Lemon Marmalade, Basil Financier, Huckleberry
• Lime Curd, Shiso Meringue, Sablé Breton
• Grapefruit Gelée, Tarragon Ice Cream, Masago Arame
This was the only thing we didn't really care for. I guess our palates aren't so sophisticated because the combination of herb and citrus flavors weren't exactly harmonious.
Chocolate ~ Exotic
• White Chocolate Panna Cotta, Passion Fruit, Almond Crumble
• German Chocolate, Coconut Espuma, Candied Pecans
• Bittersweet Chocolate Cream, Rum Bananas, Macadamia Nut
Rich, dark, bitter.. Just how I like my men.
Our only real complaint about the evening was that the sommolier was not very helpful. He didn't ask what we were eating, which is totally weird right? All he asked was what we liked to drink and then he proceeded to point to random wines in the wine list and just say, "This one is good... I like this one.. Or you could just get this one.."
He didn't once mention the flavors of the wine or anything!
Anyway, I just chose something and it was good.
Twelve hours later...
Stay tuned for more crab.