Thursday, September 10, 2009

just looking..

It's been about two months since I was laid off and I've had to curb my spending. A lot. I used to work in the middle of downtown, just blocks away from Nordstrom and Nordstrom Rack so it was easy for me to shop all the time. And for the first couple weeks of being unemployed, I still made a point to head down there just because I had nothing better to do. And when there's nothing for a girl to do, the girl goes shopping!

Am I the only one?

Now with the wedding less than two months away (eep), and with me not really looking for a full time job, I've had to really look at my finances and decide what I need and don't need - there are going to be a lot of things to pay for soon. Did I tell you I picked up my wedding dress? (double eep)

So here I am avoiding the mall and Target (because every time I go there I buy so much stuff!) And when I shop online, I only put things in the cart - never checking out. Blah. It's lame. I don't even remember the last time I went to Forever 21! See? I do have some restraint.

But when I went through my mail last week, I found a $50 gift card to the Neiman Marcus that is opening on Sept. 11! No strings attached. No "$50 off if you spend blah blah." Just $50. Plain and simple. A few of my friends also received one. (I wonder if they poached one of the mailing lists from Nordstrom...)


To be honest, while I'm very excited to have a Neimans in town, I'm more excited for the future Last Call sales!

I'll be at the opening tomorrow with a friend of mine and I'll be pretending to be a fashionista on a mission to find the most fabulous outfit for a most fabulous event.

Or maybe I'll just stop the cosmetics department and spend my $50 on a little something.

Retail therapy on someone else's dime. Count me in.

2 comments:

Aline said...

that is awesome! when the bloomies opened up at south coast, I ended up with like 150 in gift cards! it was 50, bring a friend and they get 50, plus my friend had one, and my mom had given me hers...so awesome!

Da Fashionista said...

can't believe it's been two months. time flies. can't wait to see your wedding dress. is it on the other blog? checking...

p.s. my vote is to pick up some cosmetics with the 50 dollares.