Tuesday, February 5, 2008

please pass the... nevermind

I feel bloated just thinking about the food in Prague and Budapest. I don't think I'll look at slow cooked food in quite the same way ever again. Don't get me wrong, I love my gramma's beef brisket, but some how those Czechs and Hungarians make the food taste so unfresh. It's like they made it months ago and just heat up when you asked for it. Blech.

And what's up with the dumplings? Maybe cos I'm Asian but the dumplings I'm used to are delicious, tender little bites - with or without meat in them. Potato dumplings are these massive loaves that are sliced and taste/feel NOTHING like potato gnocchi. And bread dumplings? Don't even get me started on those. How is bread a dumpling? Isn't that just, you know.. BREAD?

I get the impression that their M.O. with food is just that it fills you up for hours and leaves you constipated and that it's not something to be enjoyed.

We ended up at Pizza Hut on our fifth night. I couldn't stand another plate of goulash. I mean, the least they could do is name it something more appetizing. Goulash just sounds like someone vomiting - much like appeler Raoul. But that's neither here nor there.

By the time we arrived in Vienna, we were so ready for some schnitzel. Pass the tonkatsu sauce because deep fried meat is good anytime.

1 comment:

K said...

I hear you on the goulash! I guess this means I shouldn't invite you to the Polish community center with me for their Polish dinner night ;)