Tuesday, July 14, 2009

what's your return policy?

Because I just got laid off and am about to be bah-roke.

Well, not really. But still. It's kinda scary since for the last 9 months or so, I've been working so much and have been so busy. To go from working 50+ hours a week to napping on the couch at 2:30 pm (I woke up early to go to bootcamp this morning, okay?!) is a huge difference.

I was pretty much in a daze most of the afternoon yesterday. Did that really happen? Several people had already been let go that morning. But they're manager was kind enough to give them some notice. It would have been so much kinder and gentler had I known. Did they really think I was going to sabotage something? Instead, I look down at my caller ID and see the HR guy's name.

Oh f*ck.

My heart sank. I quickly sent some of my personal stuff on my hard drive to my personal email and went into the meeting.

Blah blah blah. Financial situation. Blah blah. You'll have 20 minutes before your computer is shut down. Blah.

Trying to stay positive. I still have my 2nd job and my manager there is going to see if they can give me more hours. I'm still hoping that this will eventually turn full time. Really, this could be a blessing in disguise.

In the meantime, I do need a break. I've been exhausted!

I filed for unemployment and have nothing planned. I guess I'll figure out later. This is the first time since I finished college nearly 10 years ago that I haven't been employed full time. I'm a little scared.. And even more excited.

Watch out!

10 comments:

Da Fashionista said...

kiss you. can't imagine. tho i am sure I won't have to at some point in my life. definitely could be a blessing in disguise. i keep seeing that over and over again. universe usually has bigger plans for us than we have for ourselves.

Hannah said...

First time commenter here. I'm sorry to hear about this, it seems like kismet that you decided to take a contracting job though. The only way is up, and at least you know the contracting job is something you enjoy. Good luck :)

Aline said...

your outlook is inspiring...I know that you will be okay!

tam pham said...

jobs are so overrated anyways :-). can't wait to see what happens next for you, my dear!

K said...

Can't wait to see what life has in store for you, talented lady :) Plus, this means more time to plan your wedding! Blessing in disguise.

mr jack said...

they laid you off so you could catch harry potter opening day, duh! hahaha. you're now down to only 2 jobs, ya bum!

Angela said...

oh sorry to hear this. perhaps with one door closing another one will open for you.

WendyB said...

I agree with Savvy!

tam pham said...

come back. i miss you.

ps. should i be offended that i'm no longer on your blogroll?!

:-)

Unknown said...

It could be a blessing in disguise! ...so, congratulations ;)